Sunday, January 13, 2013

Fatal Decree: A Matt Royal Mystery by H. Terrell Griffin

4 STARS

This is my first Matt Royal Mystery but not my last. I found that I had two others on my kindle that I will read next. Fatal Decree I believe is the 6th Matt Royal Mystery.
Thier are a lot of characters that fans of the series has already met in detail.
Fatal Decree can stand alone but I want to go back and read the books before in the series.
I like Matt and his friends. They have some very powerful friends in high places. Thier was no way I would have guessed who the killer was and why. It is full of drama,action,police detective,secret goverment agencies,drug dealers,murders. Did not want to put the book down until I had finshed reading it.

Description

When a serial killer shows up on Longboat Key, Florida after a twelve year absence, Matt Royal is stymied. The first woman killed on Longboat Key has ties to a secretive government agency for which Matt's best friend Jock Algren works. Was this a coincidence or was she a targeted kill? Matt's friend, Longboat Key detective Jennifer Diane (J.D.) Duncan investigates the murders but also seems to be a target of the killer. Why? And where has the killer been for the past twelve years? And why has he come to Longboat Key when his earlier kills were all in Miami? The mystery deepens when Guatemalan gang-bangers try to kill Matt and J.D. and suspicions grow that Mexican drug cartels are somehow involved. The director of Jock's agency orders him to do whatever is necessary to find the killer because of the death of the woman with connections to the agency. Will Jock simply take out the murderer or allow J.D. and the law to arrest, try and convict the bad guys? Matt's life is further complicated by J.D.'s growing dissatisfaction with island living and her thoughts of returning to Miami. (Taken off Netgalley site about Fatal Decree)

Matt Royal is retired lawyer and loyal friend. He is divorced and a beach bum is his discription.
Jock Algren works for secret goverment agency and when he is between assignments lives on the island in Matt's house.
Diane (J.D.) Duncan Matt's friend who he wants to be closer too but does not want to ruin friendship. She is the Island's detective. Someone wants her dead. Her boss is Matt's friend too.

The one thing that I did not like is that clue about what was going to go wrong with thier plan. Matt hinted a lot of different times about what was going to happen. Just a little complaint.

I would love to live on Longboat Key, Florida too especially after the foot of snow in my yard this week.
I was given this ebook to read and asked to give honest review of it when I was done by Netgalley.
Publisher: Oceanview Publishing (January 15, 2013) 340 pages ISBN: 1608090701

No comments: