Saturday, November 16, 2013

My Name Used to Be Muhammad: A True Story of a Muslim Who Became a Christian by Tito Momen & Jeff Benedict

Tito Momen was raised Muhammad Momen. He was born in Nigeria and was taught to observe the strict teachings of Islam. At

age five he woke at 4:45 every morning to attend the mosque and

perform dawn prayer with the other men in his village. Training to

memorize the Qur'an began at age six. It was at this same age that

he began copying the entire Qur'an word for word. He was being

raised to emerge as a leader among clerics, capable of leading a jihad,

or holy struggle, to convert nonbelievers to Islam. However, Tito's

path took an expected turn when he was introduced to Christianity.

His decision to believe in Jesus Christ cost him his family and his

freedom. Tito thought he would spend his remaining days enduring

a life sentence in an uncivilized Egyptian prison. For fifteen years he

suffered and waited and prayed. Tito said, "I never gave up hope.

I never stopped believing." Although he was falsely imprisoned,

beaten, and ridiculed, Tito's remarkable true story is one of faith,

forgive

My Review:My Name Used to Be Muhammad: A True Story of a Muslim Who Became a Christian

5 STARS

This book was very interesting. I can understand a little more about Muslims what they believe and why some hate everything different. This starts out telling about his life from the time he was about 5. About what they learned and what they were kept away from.
He doesn't speak of Muslim religion with bitterness or angry. He just tells what his life was like growing up. Explains why and how come he did some things or didn't do.

About his regrets and wrong things he did and why. To me it seemed like a real honest look back at his life so far.
I like the culture of the different countries he was in and the differences he encountered.

I was also surprised that the Qur'an has more of Mary's story in it than the Bible does.

The story just flowed and was so interesting. I was sad to see it end. I admit that I have taken the freedoms that I have for granted. I am glad that Tito now has more freedom.
The scene with his father for the last time brought me to tears.

I am grateful that I was able to read Tito's story. I was given this ebook to read and asked in return to give honest review of it by Netgalley.

I want to see some of his drawings. Also want to help others who have gone through some of the same hardships for believing In Christ too.
This is a powerful book. Thank you for sharing your story and your life.

Published November 12th 2013 by Ensign Peak 278 pages ISBN:9781609077105

No comments: